Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP)
The Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21) went into effect on October 1, 2012. It continued the Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) as a core Federal-aid program. The goal of the program is to achieve a significant reduction in traffic fatalities and serious injuries on all public roads, including non-State-owned public roads and roads on tribal lands. The HSIP requires a data-driven, strategic approach to improving highway safety on all public roads that focuses on performance.
The specific provisions pertaining to the HSIP are defined in Section 1112 of MAP-21, which amended Section 148 of Title 23, United States Code (23 USC 148). Some of the changes to the HSIP include:
- The Strategic Highway Safety Plans are now required to be updated and evaluated regularly by each State.
- The $90 million High Risk Rural Roads (HRRR) set-aside has been eliminated but a new HRRR Special Rule will require States to obligate funds on HRRRs if the fatality rate is increasing on rural roads.
- The Transparency Reports (5 percent) are no longer required.
- The annual reports from the States will be posted on FHWA's website.
- FHWA is required to establish measures for the States to use in assessing the number and rate of fatalities and serious injuries.
Additional information on all of the program’s requirements can be found by clicking on the following links:
Return to top
Web-based HSIP Courses
Five new web-based courses related to the HSIP are available from the National Highway Institute
Integrating Road Safety into NEPA Analysis: A Primer for Safety and Environmental Professionals:
NEW Strategic Highway Safety Plans: A Champion's Guidebook to Saving Lives, Second Edition
HSIP Self Assessment Tool
Highway Safety Improvement Program – Project Eligibility
Strategic Highway Safety Plan – Leadership that Saves Lives
Strategic Highway Safety Plan – Get Involved!
HSIP Noteworthy Practice Series
P2P – Integrating Local Planning Organizations into a State HSIP
SHSP Implementation Process Model Interactive CD
HSIP Assessment Toolbox
SHSP IPM – The Essential Eight – Fundamental Elements and Effective Steps for SHSP Implementation
SHSP IPM Supplement Number 1 – Case Studies
A Primer on Safety Performance Measures for the Transportation Planning Process
Data and Safety Analysis Tools Brochure