Transportation Performance Management (TPM)
Safety is one of seven National Goals established in 23 USC §150 as part of a comprehensive performance management program. FHWA defines Transportation Performance Management (TPM) as a strategic approach that uses system information to make investment and policy decisions to achieve national performance goals. The Safety goal is to achieve a significant reduction in traffic fatalities and serious injuries on all public roads. For the purpose of carrying out the HSIP, FHWA must establish measures for the States to use in assessing the number and rate of fatalities and serious injuries and States must set targets in support of those measures.
Additional information about the MAP-21 TPM requirements can be found on the FHWA Transportation Performance Management Website. Additional information on the NHTSA TPM requirements can be found in the Uniform Procedures for State Highway Safety Grant Programs; Final Rule.
Specific information to support safety target setting efforts include:
- Safety Target Setting Final Report
- A Compendium of State and Regional Safety Target Setting Practices
- Safety Target Setting Peer Exchange
- Target Setting Literature Review
This webinar discusses the MAP-21 requirements for setting safety targets and includes:
- A framework for safety target setting based on the Safety Target Setting Final Report published by FHWA in December 2013;
- Current practices in safety target setting as well as the relationship between targets in State strategic highway safety plans (SHSP), the Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) Annual Reports, and Highway Safety Plans (HSP);
- A Three-step approach for setting evidence-based safety targets centered on historical trend data, adjusting the target for external factors, and refining the target based on the estimated impact of the agency's safety program; and,
- An Interactive discussion on the MAP-21 option for setting safety targets for urbanized and rural areas.
Return to top
Web-based HSIP Courses
Five new web-based courses related to the HSIP are available from the National Highway Institute
Integrating Road Safety into NEPA Analysis: A Primer for Safety and Environmental Professionals:
NEW Saving Lives Together: The Highway Safety and EMS Connection
NEW Strategic Highway Safety Plans: A Champion's Guidebook to Saving Lives, Second Edition
HSIP Self Assessment Tool
Highway Safety Improvement Program – Project Eligibility
Strategic Highway Safety Plan – Leadership that Saves Lives
Strategic Highway Safety Plan – Get Involved!
HSIP Noteworthy Practice Series
P2P – Integrating Local Planning Organizations into a State HSIP
SHSP Implementation Process Model Interactive CD
HSIP Assessment Toolbox
SHSP IPM – The Essential Eight – Fundamental Elements and Effective Steps for SHSP Implementation
SHSP IPM Supplement Number 1 – Case Studies
A Primer on Safety Performance Measures for the Transportation Planning Process
Data and Safety Analysis Tools Brochure