If You Run a Red Light You are Betting More than You can Afford to Lose
Few things will stop you faster in life than a crash because you ran a red light...or were hit by a red light runner.
"Red-light violators likely do not realize that even low speed (30 mph) side impact
crashes can be deadly. Because of the relatively thin protection along the side of
a vehicle, a large amount of force is transferred directly to the victim."
— John K. Cumming, M.D.
Hennepin County Medical Center, Minnesota
IF YOU RUN A RED LIGHT YOU ARE RISKING:
- A ticket and moving violation on your record.
- Damage to your vehicle.
- Higher insurance costs.
- A lengthy, expensive hospital stay and recovery from injury.
- Irreversible consequences if you injure or kill someone else.
DON'T SQUEEZE THE LEMON
(Don’t race through a yellow light!)
A yellow light at an intersection should last long enough that a vehicle traveling at the posted speed can either:
- Apply the brakes and comfortably and safely decelerate to a stop prior to reaching the front of the intersection
- Maintain the same speed and safely clear the intersection.
LEARN YOUR STATE LAWS!
Penalties for red-light running and signal violations can vary by State.
"More than half of drivers say driving is less safe today than it was 5 years ago — a 17% increase from only one year ago. Nearly half cite driver distraction as the reason."
Source: 2010 Traffic Safety Culture Index
...We Bet You Didn't Know About Red-Light Running
- You or your loved ones are more likely to be injured due to a red-light running related crash than any other type of crash.
- Running a red light or other traffic control is the most common cause of all urban crashes.
- Someone runs a red light an average of every 20 minutes at urban intersections.
- In the last decade, red-light running crashes killed nearly 9,000 people.
- An estimated 165,000 motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians are injured annually by red-light runners.
- Half of the people killed by red-light runners are not the signal violators – they are passengers, other motorists, pedestrians, and cyclists.
- Nearly 93% of drivers believe running a red light is unacceptable, yet 1 in 3 drivers reported doing so in the past 30 days.
- There are an average of 7 fatal crashes and over 1,000 injury crashes EVERY DAY at signalized intersections across the United States.
- The cost to society of all crashes exceeds $230 billion annually.
- The tragedies and costs resulting from red-light running are preventable!
Do Your Part to STOP Red-Light Running Tragedies
Stop on Red — Nobody Dead:
- Decide now that you will always be prepared to Stop on Red as a driver, cyclist, or pedestrian.
- Obey speed limits so you have time and space to stop prior to entering the intersection.
Protect Yourself and Your Loved Ones from Red-Light Runners:
- Intersections can be dangerous — when the light turns green, look in all directions for red-light runners before proceeding whether driving, cycling or walking.
Take it To Heart:
- Share this brochure.
- Talk about the dangers of red light-running with friends, family, and co-workers.
- Volunteer to support a Stop Red-Light Running campaign in your community.
Car crashes rank among the leading causes of death in the United States...and are the leading cause of death for children, teens, and young adults up to age 34.
U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration
1200 New Jersey Ave., SE
Washington, DC 20590