U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
Model Inventory of Roadway Elements – MIRE, Version 1.0
145. Left Turn Lane Type
Definition: Type of left turn lane(s) that accommodate left turns from this approach.
- No left turn lanes
- Conventional left turn lane(s)
- U-turn followed by right turn
- Right turn followed by U-turn
- Right turn followed by left turn (e.g., jughandle near side)
- Right turn followed by right turn (e.g., jughandle far side)
- Left turn crossover prior to intersection (e.g., displaced left turn)
See Figure 11 for additional detail.
HPMS/Tool Requirements: None
Figure 11. Illustration of Left Turn Lane Types.
Page last modified on October 15, 2014.