U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
A Primer on Safety Performance Measures for the Transportation Planning Process
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), (2009). Traffic Safety Facts: 2008 Traffic Safety Annual Assessment – Highlights, DOT HS 811 172, Washington, DC.
- AASHTO, (2004). Optimizing the System. American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, Washington, D.C., Publication No.: OTS-1.
- Cambridge Systematics, Inc. and M. Meyer. 2008. Crashes vs. Congestion: What's the Cost to Society? Washington D.C.: AAA Foundation.
- Cambridge Systematics, Inc., PB Consult, Inc., and Texas Transportation Institute. 2006. Performance Measures and Targets for Transportation Asset Management, NCHRP Report 551, Washington D.C.: National Academy Press.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). 2007. Performance Measures Discussion. 408 Team Document #005, October 29, 2007. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, on-line document, accessible at: http://www.nhtsa-tsis.net/TRIPRS/Resources/Resources.htm.
- Southeast Michigan Council of Governments (SEMCOG), Detroit, Michigan.
- Washington, Simon, Michael Meyer, Ida Vah Schalkwyk, Eric Dumbaugh, Sudeshna Mitra, and Matthew Zoll. 2006. Incorporating Safety into Long-Range Transportation-Planning, NCHRP Report 546, Washington D.C.: National Academy Press.
- Cambridge Systematics, Inc. 2000. A Guidebook for Performance-Based Transportation Planning, NCHRP Report 446, Washington D.C.: National Academy Press.
- Federal Highway Administration/Federal Transit Administration (FHWA/FTA). 2007. “The Transportation Planning Process: Key Issues, A Briefing Book for Transportation Decision-makers, Officials, and Staff,” Publication Number: FHWA-HEP-07-039, U.S. Department of Transportation, on-line document accessible at: http://www.planning.dot.gov/documents/BriefingBook/BBook.htm
- Denver Regional Council of Governments (DRCOG), Denver, Colorado.
Page last modified on April 1, 2019