U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
Methods for Maintaining Pavement Marking Retroreflectivity
- U.S. Department of Transportation, U.S. Department of Transportation Strategic Plan, 2006-2011. This document can be viewed at the Internet Web site: https://www.transportation.gov/mission/budget/dot-strategic-plan-fy2006-fy2011
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, "Traffic Safety Facts, 2012 Motor Vehicle Crashes: Overview," November 2013. This document can be viewed at http://safety.nhtsa.dot.gov/
- Federal Highway Administration and The Bureau of Transportation Statistics, "2001 National Household Travel Survey." This document can be viewed at the Internet Web site: http://nhts.ornl.gov
- Federal Highway Administration, Roadway Departure Safety, "Nighttime Visibility" web page. Available at http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/roadway_dept/night_visib/ (Accessed Sept 22, 2011).
- Federal Highway Administration, Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (Washington, D.C.: 2009).
- Carlson, P.J., E.S. Park, and C.K. Andersen, "The Benefits of Pavement Markings: A Renewed Perspective Based On Recent and Ongoing Research," Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2107 (2009): 56-68.
- Carlson, P.J., E.S. Park, and D.H. Kang, "An Investigation of Longitudinal Pavement Marking Retroreflectivity and Safety" (Paper Number 13-2512, Pending Publication in the Proceedings from the 92nd Annual Transportation Research Board Meeting, Washington, D.C., January 2013).
- Avelar, R.E. and P.J. Carlson, "Characterizing the Combined Association of Edge Line and Center Line Retroreflectivity to Nighttime Crashes on Michigan Rural Two-Lane Highways," Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, publication pending.
- Falk, K.W. and P.J. Carlson, Pavement Marking Retroreflectivity Workshop Report, FHWA-SA-08-003 (Washington, D.C.: FHWA, 2008). Accessed at: http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/roadway_dept/night_visib/pavement_visib/fhwasa08003/fhwasa08003.pdf
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Older Driver Program: Five-Year Strategic Plan 2012-2017, DO-HS-811-432 (Washington, DC: December 2010).
- ASTM International, ASTM D7585 / D7585M-10, Standard Practice for Evaluating Retroreflective Pavement Markings Using Portable Hand-Operated Instruments (West Conshohocken, PA: 2010). Available at: www.astm.org
- Deballion, C., P. Carlson, Y. He, T. Schnell, and F. Aktan. Updates to Research on Recommended Minimum Levels for Pavement Marking Retroreflectivity to Meet Driver Night Visibility Needs. FHWA-HRT-07-059 (Washington, D.C.: FHWA, 2007).
- ASTM International, ASTM D6359-99, Standard Specification for Minimum Retroreflectance of Newly Applied Pavement Marking Using Portable Hand-Operated Instruments, (Withdrawn).
- M.J. Markow. NCHRP Synthesis 408: Pavement Marking Warranty Specifications, (Washington, D.C.: Transportation Research Board, 2010). Available at : http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/nchrp/nchrp_syn_408.pdf
- Pike, A., "Quantitative Versus Qualitative Pavement Marking Visibility Assessment," (paper 10-1287, presented to the 89th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, Washington, D.C., January 10-14, 2010).
- Carlson, P.J. and J.D. Miles, Nighttime Visibility of In-Service Pavement Markings, Pavement Markers, and Guardrail Delineation in Alaska (with and without Continuous Lighting), FHWA-AK-RD-11-04, (Fairbanks, AK: Alaska Department of Transportation, 2011).
- Illuminating Engineering Society of North America, American National Standard Practice for Roadway Lighting, ANSI/IESNA RP-8-00 (New York: 1999).
- American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, Roadway Lighting Design Guide (Washington, D.C.: AASHTO, 2005).
- Texas Department of Transportation, Pavement Marking Handbook. (Austin, TX: 2004).
- Highway Innovation Technology Evaluation Center (HITEC), Summary of Evaluation Findings for 30-meter Handheld and Mobile Pavement Marking Retroreflectometers, Report 40525 (2001).
- ASTM International, ASTM E1710-11, Standard Test Method for Measurement of Retroreflective Pavement Marking Materials with CEN-Prescribed Geometry Using a Portable Retroreflectometer (West Conshohocken, PA: ASTM, 2011). Available at: www.astm.org.
- Migletz, J., J. L. Graham, D.W. Harwood, and K.M. Bauer, "Service Life of Durable Pavement Markings," Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 1749 (2001).
- Sathyanarayanan, S., V. Shankar, and E. T. Donnell, "A Weibull Analysis of Pavement Marking Retroreflectivity Inspection Data," Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, publication pending.
- Migletz, J. and J. Graham, NCHRP Synthesis 306: Long-Term Pavement Marking Practices, (Washington, D.C.: Transportation Research Board, 2002).
- Federal Highway Administration, "Report on Economic Impact of Implementing Minimum Pavement Marking Retroreflectivity Rule-Making." Posted in the SNPA Docket Comment
Page last modified on February 1, 2017