U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
Zero Deaths – Saving Lives through a Safety Culture and a Safe System
- Safety System Approach
- NEW – The Safe System Approach Presentation provides an overview of the approach with discussions of its background, principles, core elements, and examples. The presentation contains speaker notes and background information and can also be used for train-the-trainer purposes.
- The Safe System Approach Flyer describes the principles and core elements of the Safe System Approach; and the differences between the approach and traditional road safety practices.
- Zero Deaths Virtual Booth features relevant videos, reports, and web resources.
- NEW –
Lessons Learned from Development of Vision Zero Action Plans – This report summarizes the Vision Zero plan development processes of two communities – Daly City, CA and Macon-Bibb County, GA. It draws from their experiences and summarizes the common elements and principles applied, including those of the Vision Zero and Safe System Approaches. The report also includes a section on opportunities, challenges, and lessons learned.
- NEW – Integrating the Safe System Approach with the Highway Safety Improvement Program report presents areas of alignment between the Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) and the Safe System Approach; as well as opportunities, noteworthy practices, and next steps for safety stakeholders to advance implementation of the Safe System approach through HSIP.
- State and Local Alignment Toward Zero Traffic Deaths: To promote effective partnerships as a way to advance zero deaths efforts, the FHWA sponsored several State-based workshops where stakeholders discussed their safety priorities and strategies to achieve their shared goal of zero traffic deaths.
- Vision Zero City Overviews
Stories highlighting notable practices transportation agencies have implemented to reach their zero deaths goals.
- Systemic Safety Analysis – San Diego, CA (data)
- Rainier Avenue South Redesign – Seattle, WA (infrastructure)
- Zero Traffic Fatalities Task Force and Speed Limit Setting Report – California (partnerships)
- Safest Driver Contest – Boston, Massachusetts (behavioral)
- Media Campaign – Boulder, Colorado (communications and outreach)
- Walking Audits – Broward County, Florida (planning, partnerships, and public engagement)
- Traffic Safety Camera Program – Portland, Oregon (behavioral)
- Speed Management Projects – West Palm Beach, Florida (infrastructure)
- Milwaukee Avenue Rapid Delivery Approach – Chicago, IL (planning, implementation, and evaluation)
- Improved Nighttime Lighting – Fremont, CA (infrastructure)
- Fletcher Avenue Complete Streets Redesign – Hillsborough, FL (infrastructure)
- Equity in Vision Zero – Oregon Metro, OR (partnerships)
Other Materials and Efforts
Page last modified on April 29, 2021