Evaluation of the Focused Approach to Pedestrian Safety Program
Appendix B. Interview Questions
Interview Protocol for Focused Approach to Pedestrian Safety Evaluation
- What are the pedestrian safety responsibilities of your organization?
- What are the pedestrian safety responsibilities of your job?
- What are the main safety-related (but not necessarily pedestrian-related) concerns of your organization and in your city and state?
- What are the main pedestrian-safety-related concerns of you organization and your city/state?
Focused Approach to Pedestrian Safety Program Activities:
- What Program activities have you participated in?
- What is the relevance of the learning content to your job responsibilities?
- What are the most important information (skills, tools, policies, etc.) you took from these activities?
- How were you chosen to participate in these activities?
Pedestrian Safety Initiatives:
- What pedestrian safety initiatives have you, your organization, or your associates undertaken as a result of participating in the Program?
- What was your process for choosing these initiatives compared to other initiatives or no initiatives?
- What role did Program activities play in influencing your decision to undertake these initiatives?
- Which of the Program activities were most effective in spurring or enabling action? Which were least effective? Why?
- What were the results of these activities? For example, what changes, if any, have occurred in safety policies, practices, behaviors, or institutions?
- What were the key success factors and obstacles in achieving these results?
- What is the likelihood these initiatives would have occurred or succeeded in the absence of the Focused Approach to Pedestrian Safety Program?
- What were the key success factors and obstacles in choosing and undertaking these initiatives?
- Which types of Program activities were most effective in spurring or enabling action? Which were least helpful? Why
- What are your plans for future pedestrian safety initiatives?
Recommendations and Lessons Learned
- What are your recommendations for the design and implementation of future pedestrian safety training programs?
- What other things could FHWA do to assist you in addressing pedestrian safety in your state?
- What lessons have you learned from planning and implementing pedestrian safety initiatives?